Tuesday, 21 February 2017

Beauty for ashes




I know Roman Catholicism believes in a place called Limbo or purgatory in a semi afterlife. I am not convinced that Scripture teaches of such a place but I know I have my own little purgatory & place of limbo in this life.

You see, I don’t always take hold of the forgiveness that is mine in Christ. I tend to mope around in my failings as if I don’t deserve it (and that would be true). I sort of take hold of forgiveness without letting go of my sin before a holy God. (To with or without, that is the question) That is my limbo & it really is a miserable place. It is not a place of freedom, the freedom that has been won in Christ.

At times it hangs over my head like a cloud & I live in a shadow of struggle, then the wind blows the cloud away like chaff & the fullness of the blinding sun is revealed. God’s promise is mine, I don’t deserve it but it is mine nonetheless. It is here that God tells me it is all about me, about me & Him.

Lord’s day 7
 21. Q. What is true faith?

A. True faith is not only a sure knowledge, whereby I hold for truth all that God has revealed to us in his Word, but also a firm confidence which the Holy Spirit works in my heart by the gospel, that not only to others, but to me also, remission of sins, everlasting righteousness and salvation are freely given by God, merely of grace, only for the sake of Christ’s merits.









...................






No comments:

Post a Comment